Monday, September 10, 2012

Contenders of the Faith: Archery

There are many references to the bow throughout Scriptures...
Now therefore take , I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison   Genesis 27:3 
(Also he bade them teach the children of Judah the use of the bow: behold, it is written in the book of Jasher.)  2 Samuel 1:18 
He hath bent his bow, and set me as a mark for the arrow. Lamentations 3:12 
Moreover I have given to thee one portion above thy brethren, which I took out of the hand of the Amorite with my sword and with my bow. Genesis 48:22 
Moreover I have given to thee one portion above thy brethren, which I took out of the hand of the Amorite with my sword and with my bow. 2 Kings 13:15

ARCHERY:
Part of our Contenders of the Faith skills will be learning archery. Our Keepers at Home will be included in the lessons as well. Here is a full listing of all the skills through both the Contenders and the Keepers books. There are more than enough skills to master to keep us quite busy.  The youngers will earn a silver disk their first run-thru, the olders will earn a gold as they repeat many of these skill lessons.  We are debating over making vests for everyone to put their disks on, or perhaps a large family banner.




Ed Scott, part 2
Ed Scott, part 3
Ed Scott, part 4
Ed Scott, part 5
Ed Scott, part 6
Ed Scott, part 7
Ed Scott, part 8



Here is a nice pictorial from a hunter chat forum of crafting a good, sturdy, wood bow.

Making a primitive bow via Primitive Pathways, part 2, part 3, part 4

Making a 60# PVC bow yourself
Here's another DIY PVC bow tutorial note: he 'bends and forms' his bow with your kitchen stovetop...

arrow.gif

You'll need arrows...Arrow Making for the Common Man 
or, Making a Common Man's Broadhead 
or, The Swiss Arrow

Long Bow

Of course I had to share a YouTube for crafting a replica Medieval arrow as we are studying the Middle Ages all year. Big Bow Brum has a nice set of videos on making a medieval arrow bag as well.

  

Here are some other notes:
How to shoot a longbow
some hints on arrow making
Archery terms to know

RecurveBow01.png
credit: wiki robotz

No comments: